Striders make a flying start to the new season
Published at 13:10, Thursday, 15 October 2009
BARROW and Furness Striders AC men stormed to team victory in the opening event of the Mid Lancs Cross Country League series.
Hundreds of runners descended on the Westmorland County Showfield, near Kendal, as the new season kicked off in style.
Flying veteran Bob Atkinson found the fast underfoot conditions of the undulating course to his liking as he finished eighth overall and led home the victorious Striders team.
Richard Walker (16th) was next Strider across the finish line, with Phil Waite (27th), Jed Bartlett (28th), Garry Dixon (36th) and David Hook (49th) completing the winning team.
Striders finished 24 points better off than their nearest rivals Blackpool Wyre and Fylde AC, with Lancaster and Morecambe AC third.
Ulverston-based club Glaxo Hoad Hill Harriers’ men’s team – led home by Chris Howie (33rd) – placed ninth overall and first Division Three team.
Howie was supported by team-mates Jeff Chadwick (62nd), Matthew Rooke (63rd), Harry Stainton (74th), Gary Dover (86th), Graham Pinder (117th).
Hoad’s Sharon Dixon was the first South Cumbrian to finish in the ladies’ race, placing 13th overall. Just two places behind her was Striders’ Katie Savage.
Lou Lyness (Striders) was first lady over-60 in 31st place overall.
The highest placing by a local junior came in the under-11 boys race where Striders’ Kyle Ritchie finished third.
Therw were also top-10 finishes for Sam Nicholson in the under-13 boys, Olivia Miller in the under-15 girls, Theo Messenger-Jones and Sam Storey in the under-15 boys and Ellie Wilson and Jenny Huck in the under-17 girls.
Striders and Hoad finishers: Under-11 girls: 11 Abigail Howie (Hoad 11th) 7:01; 16 Emily Lockhart (Hoad) 7:11; 18 Kiera Whittaker (Striders) 7:16; 27 Kimberly Walker, (Striders) 8:41.
Under-11 boys: 3 Kyle Ritchie (Striders) 6:09; 26 Nathan Chadwick, (Hoad) 7:24; 28 Thomas Gregg (Hoad) 7:27; 34 Alistair Howie (Hoad) 7:42.
Under-13 girls: 20 Sophie Seddon (Striders) 11:50; 21 Tasmin Crook (Striders) 11:52; 25 Freya Sadler, (Striders) 12:13, 33 Katy Griifiths (Hoad) 12:39; 35 Gaby Byrom (Striders) 13:01.
Under-13 boys: 6 Sam Nicholson (Striders) 11:11.
Under-15 girls: 9 Olivia Miller (Striders) 12:08; 16 Brogan Stewart (Striders) 12:31; 33 Hannah Stanway (Striders) 14:10.
Under-15 boys; 5 Theo Messenger-Jones (Striders) 14:48; 7 Sam Storey (Striders) 14:58; 13 Ross Campbell (Striders) 15:15.
Under-17 girls: 6 Ellie Wilson (Striders) 16:09, 7 Jenny Huck (Striders) 16:47; 22 Alice Barnes (Striders) 22:35.
Under-17 boys: 10 Jonathan Benson (Striders) 22:23.
Senior women: 13 Sharon Dixon (Hoad) 25:57; 15 Katie Savage (Striders) 26:14; 31 Lou Lyness, (Striders) 28:00; 36 Sue Sharp (Striders) 28:30; 76 Victoria Lepper (Hoad) 31:52; 81 Helen Walker (Striders) 32:28; 83 Bethan Burke (Hoad) 32:40; 84 Penny Moreton (Hoad) 33:03; 87 Beth Fellowes (Hoad) 33:19.
Senior men: 8 Bob Atkinson (Striders) 33:31; 16 Richard Walker, (Striders) 34:23; 27 Phil Waite (Striders) 35:11; 28 Jed Bartlett (Striders) 35:14; 33 Chris Howie (Hoad) 35:49; 36 Garry Dixon (Striders) 35:59; 49 David Hook (Striders) 37:04; 60 Simon Stanway (Striders) 37:38; 62 Jeff Chadwick (Hoad) 37:42; 63 Matthew Rooke (Hoad) 37:43; 65 David Parker (Striders) 37:50; 74 Harry Stainton (Hoad) 38:31; 86 Gary Dover (Hoad) 39:27; 94 Peter Savage (Striders) 39:49; 104 Peter Hall (Striders) 40:16; 117 Graham Pinder (Hoad) 40:43; 120 Gary Mason, (Striders) 41:02; 178 Ken Lamb (Hoad) 44:29; 181 Harry Melia (Striders) 44:41; 186 Ron Winward (Striders) 45:19; 194 Roger Quayle (Striders) 46:25; 201 David Spencer (Striders) 46:52; 216 Alf Waite (Striders) 48:30; 224 Simon Barton (Hoad) 49:56; Jeremy Clark, (Hoad) 51:02; 232 Dave Shaw (Striders) 51:46.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- SLIDESHOW: Cartmel family race proves a winning formula
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Barrow's Hairy Biker married
- Era of food shortages made worse by blizzard
- Barrow rooftop stand off man to appear in court
- United Utilities apprentices on top of customer service
- Barrow pitbull owner in bid to save dog on death row (29 comments)
- Chinese translation company opens Lake District base
- Kids enjoy All Saints Day
- Jobs threat at nuclear agency in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Black Combe Runners' Paula produces solid run
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22