South Lakes energy scheme recharged
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 10 January 2013
A PIONEERING scheme that saw hundreds of Cumbrian residents save on their fuel bills is set to be relaunched.
The Power Up Your Community scheme was run by South Lakeland District Council last year and helped hundreds of people save money.
More than 500 of the 1,669 people that registered interest switched their energy deals as a result, cutting their fuel bills.
The new scheme is due to launch on Monday, with people able to register in order for specialist company iChoosr to negotiate the best possible deal using bulk purchasing power.
There is no obligation on people who register to switch energy deals and registration will end on February 25.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for the environment, said: “The council is launching Power up Your Community again, as it is a huge opportunity for local residents to be part of a scheme that helps to reduce their energy costs.
"The other benefit of the council’s scheme is that the switching fee paid to the council is used for the sole purpose of helping to combat fuel poverty in the district. The switching fee received by SLDC is ploughed back into local community projects that help people who are struggling to pay for fuel to keep warm."
The scheme is open to people all over the county and last time there were 115 households from outside the South Lakes that signed up.
From Monday, people can register free by visiting www.southlakeland.gov.uk or calling 0845 050 4434.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
please explain to me whot tim farron was on about in the citizen advice about lowering our bills I don't want to sign anything till I know a bit more
Make your comment
More Grange news
- TV star to lead the way during inaugural South Cumbria cycling event (5 comments)
- Disused Grange pool may be knocked down
- Grange jewellery thieves jailed
- Cumbria County Council election
- Grange child porn man turned in by own sister
- Cumbria man found in possession of child porn
- Cumbria police appeal after £4k quad bike stolen in South Lakes (2 comments)
- Two-hour struggle to free digger stuck in mud at Grange
- My 50 golden years patrolling the sands to Morecambe Bay
- Historical food expert to attend Holker festival in Cumbria
- Thieves swipe safe from Grange family butcher
- Lindale farmer buried hard drug stash (1 comment)
- Drug dealer "spooked" by car hides drugs stash on South Cumbria farm (4 comments)
- South Lakes residents invited to comment on dog control orders (4 comments)
- Thief blasted for targeting wishing well
- South Lakes restaurant gets AA cooking award
- Flookburgh based Bay Search and Rescue charity in bid to boost funds (2 comments)
- Driver praised after collision
- South Lakes energy scheme recharged (1 comment)
- UPDATED: South Lakes man located
- Satnav stolen from locked car in Grange
- Post box blown up in Grange
- Grange event starts festive fun
- Judge retires after 20 years on bench
- Dedicated volunteer set to meet royalty at event