Sex attack shock twist
Last updated at 14:33, Thursday, 14 April 2011
A PERVERTED former headteacher prolonged the agony for his traumatised victims after he tried to take his own life and stopped a trial.
Ian Glover also abused his position of trust to groom and abuse his young pupils instead of protecting them, according to the investigating officer.
Detective Constable Amy Smith was in charge of the case which saw the 63-year-old jailed for four years after he was found guilty of 20 charges of indecent assault and four charges of indecency with a child.
Glover, of The Green, Lindal, had denied the charges and claimed the girls had made their stories up.
But he was found guilty on Tuesday after a seven-day trial at Carlisle Crown Court. (12)
The former headmaster of a South Cumbrian primary school committed the offences against two girls in the 1990s.
They were 10 or younger at the time.
Judge Paul Batty QC described the case as “the grossest breach of trust”.
DC Smith, who works in the public protection unit, said it had been a lengthy investigation which began back in April 2009.
The officer said the firstvictim contacted police after she could no longer cope with the memories of what Glover had done to her and the subsequent effects it had on her life.
DC Smith said: “She couldn’t go on keeping it quiet and came to us as a last resort. This had a massive impact on her life. I interviewed her and as with historic cases such as this, it is a very lengthy process. It was during the investigation we came across the second victim.
“After a lot of work we were ready to go to trial last November but the defendant tried to harm himself just before it was due to start. The judge made mention of this when he was sentencing, as his action caused the victims even more anxiety.
“Glover committed terrible crimes while he was in a position of trust in his role as head teacher. His position of power enabled him to groom and abuse young children instead of protecting them as he was entrusted to do.
“I’m sure that the victims won’t forget their ordeals, but I hope they will now be able to move on and begin to rebuild their lives.
“This sentence sends a clear message that both the police and the courts take all cases of sexual abuse very seriously – no matter how long ago the offences occurred. They will be thoroughly investigated and we will make sure that each and every victim receives the appropriate level of support, from the time that they make their first disclosure, right through to the court process.”
Glover has always denied doing anything wrong – and still claims he was not guilty of the string of offences against a third girl which brought him a three-year prison sentence in 2001.
He was ordered to register as a sex offender for life and banned from working with children.
First published at 13:08, Thursday, 14 April 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school