Restaurant scoops extra Michelin star
Published at 16:23, Tuesday, 02 October 2012
A CARTMEL restaurant has been declared one of the very best in the UK by the world’s gastronomic bible.
L’Enclume – the jewel in Cumbria’s culinary crown – has been awarded a prestigious second star in the Michelin Guide Great Britain & Ireland 2013.
Chef Simon Rogan opened the restaurant in 2003 and five years later his innovative cooking earned him his first Michelin star.
It would take another five years of consistent brilliance to prise a second star out of the judges, but Mr Rogan said it was worth the wait. He said: “I think we’ve been at the standard we are now for a good many years and they made us wait for a few years longer than what we would have hoped, but we got there in the end and that’s the main thing. It takes us onto the next level and hopefully gives us a lot more international exposure.”
The guide’s editor, Rebecca Burr, has eaten at the restaurant many times and said L’Enclume deserved its ranking among the elite.
She said: “What we’ve found this year is everything we look for for two stars. It’s technically gone to the next level.’’
Mr Rogan, 44, who sources his produce from Cumbria – including his own farm – described his food as natural, healthy and, above all, local.
“People like to eat Cumbrian food while seated in a Cumbrian chair at a Cumbrian table surrounded by Cumbrian art,” he said.
While L’Enclume is celebrating its success, fellow Cumbrian eatery Sharrow Bay on Ullswater – which is now owned by James Caan from BBC 2’s Dragon’s Den – is coming to terms with losing its one star after 15 consecutive years.
“It is regrettable that Michelin has taken this decision now but this does not detract from what Sharrow Bay continues to offer along with many new exciting initiatives and promotions in the following months,” a statement from the restaurant read.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- SLIDESHOW: Cartmel family race proves a winning formula
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Bonny Lass completes the double for Wilsons
- Millers' tales
- Former Haven skipper Jeff’s pride in chocolate, blue and gold
- Fond times spent at and on Carlisle's Hammond's Pond
- The boy who blew a hole in Prince Charlie’s B&B
- Barrow before the bulldozers
- SCHOOL PAYS
- Cleator Moor provide dramatic twist in relegation battle
- Ireleth mum calls for tighter controls on distribution of methadone
- No jail for Barrow man who tried to headbutt a policeman (6 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22