Racing weekend starts with fundraising event
Published at 13:14, Sunday, 26 August 2012
HUNDREDS of racing fans turned out to Cartmel for the first meet of the bank holiday weekend.
Thursday’s charity night got the August meetings at Cartmel under way with a bang as race-goers travelled from across South Cumbria and beyond.
Jockey Jason Maguire romped home in first place on Tasheba in the 6.25pm PSR Marquees Beginners Chase before picking up a second victory in the 6.30pm Blessing of the Horse Mares’ Maiden Hurdle riding She Ranks Me.
Jonathan Garratt, racecourse director, said: “It’ll be a good weekend of racing.
“It doesn’t matter what happens with the weather – Cartmel’s always a lot of fun.”
Between races the sound of the Master Butchers’ Band filled the air, playing a range of music from brass band anthems to continental cha-chas.
Lucy Cavendish, whose family own the racecourse, was among the guests.
She said: “I love seeing the enjoyment people get out of Cartmel races; the effort of the staff and the way it’s a community orientated event.
“It’s exciting to see the beauty of horse racing.”
Simon Haworth attended along with his wife Victoria and their sons, Dylan and Morgan.
He said: “We’re on holiday in the village but we’ve been to Cartmel a couple of times.
“We like racing and the kids like coming down and getting close to the fence. It’s a good day out and we all enjoy it.”
Kevin Fisher said he tries to get to Cartmel meetings as often as possible.
After backing the winner in the opening race he had plenty to smile about along with his wife, Julie, and father, Stan.
He said: “We come because we like it, and we’ll be back for the weekend. It’s a local event and it’s a good day out.”
Races are due to be held today and on Monday.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Meningitis warning
- Darren McSweeney
- Tennis season fears after rock debris falls on Grange courts (1 comment)
- Doctors react to new Grange health centre
- Body found in lake
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Cumbria Pride 2012: It’s about empowering people
- Class warfare is highly amusing (24 comments)
- For Annie Pritchard (7 comments)
- Keeping Dalton children amused in holidays
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33