Permission sought to demolish petrol station
Published at 01:00, Monday, 07 August 2006
THERE has been no reprieve for Grange’s last petrol station.
South Lakeland District Council has received an application for the demolition of the sales office and petrol canopy.
The garage, adjoining Bateman’s Toyota on Station Square, closed its pumps at the end of March, when a contract with fuel giant Shell ran out.
Bateman’s Toyota yesterday declined to comment on whether the site would be used as a permanent extension of the car sales area, or sold off.
Since the closure of the pumps, the space has been used to showcase cars for sale.
To top-up their tank, drivers now face a ten-mile round-trip to the petrol station on the A590 at Greystones, or Newby Bridge.
Grange councillor Bill Wearing does not expect to see another petrol station come to Grange.
He said: “It’s a sad reflection of life that we’ve lost the facility which I think we would have a real job to get back.
“It probably impacts more on the people who are not using their vehicles as much as everybody else, such as the more elderly population.
“It compounds the thing on the section of the community who needed it the most.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd