Permission sought to demolish petrol station
Published at 01:00, Monday, 07 August 2006
THERE has been no reprieve for Grange’s last petrol station.
South Lakeland District Council has received an application for the demolition of the sales office and petrol canopy.
The garage, adjoining Bateman’s Toyota on Station Square, closed its pumps at the end of March, when a contract with fuel giant Shell ran out.
Bateman’s Toyota yesterday declined to comment on whether the site would be used as a permanent extension of the car sales area, or sold off.
Since the closure of the pumps, the space has been used to showcase cars for sale.
To top-up their tank, drivers now face a ten-mile round-trip to the petrol station on the A590 at Greystones, or Newby Bridge.
Grange councillor Bill Wearing does not expect to see another petrol station come to Grange.
He said: “It’s a sad reflection of life that we’ve lost the facility which I think we would have a real job to get back.
“It probably impacts more on the people who are not using their vehicles as much as everybody else, such as the more elderly population.
“It compounds the thing on the section of the community who needed it the most.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Icy conditions cause string of accidents in Ulverston and South Cumbria
- Bid to close ‘high risk’ Grange rail crossing
- Crowds flock to Grange Christmas lights switch-on
- 40 new affordable homes in South Cumbria (3 comments)
- Supermarket chain wants to open new express store in Grange (7 comments)
- Living wage move will give Grange workers pay rise
- More than 150 volunteers take on Grange green clean
- Grange man, 79, to stand trial for racially aggravated assault in Cumbria
- Car crash in Grange today (1 comment)
- Infrastructure expert attacks Grange houses proposal (4 comments)
- South Cumbria restaurant voted best in UK (4 comments)
- Action group could combat Grange flooding
- Grange man put on sex offenders register for fondling teenage girl
- Cumbria chef ranked third in national contest
- Design-a-Christmas card competition launched by MP
- South Cumbria business running road safety competition
- Pensioner taken to hospital after crash in South Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans