Permission sought to demolish petrol station
Published at 01:00, Monday, 07 August 2006
THERE has been no reprieve for Grange’s last petrol station.
South Lakeland District Council has received an application for the demolition of the sales office and petrol canopy.
The garage, adjoining Bateman’s Toyota on Station Square, closed its pumps at the end of March, when a contract with fuel giant Shell ran out.
Bateman’s Toyota yesterday declined to comment on whether the site would be used as a permanent extension of the car sales area, or sold off.
Since the closure of the pumps, the space has been used to showcase cars for sale.
To top-up their tank, drivers now face a ten-mile round-trip to the petrol station on the A590 at Greystones, or Newby Bridge.
Grange councillor Bill Wearing does not expect to see another petrol station come to Grange.
He said: “It’s a sad reflection of life that we’ve lost the facility which I think we would have a real job to get back.
“It probably impacts more on the people who are not using their vehicles as much as everybody else, such as the more elderly population.
“It compounds the thing on the section of the community who needed it the most.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Fears for increased traffic in South Cumbria town (1 comment)
- Crowds bask in glory of Grange Edwardian festival
- TV star to lead the way during inaugural South Cumbria cycling event (5 comments)
- Disused Grange pool may be knocked down
- Grange jewellery thieves jailed
- Cumbria County Council election
- Grange child porn man turned in by own sister
- Cumbria man found in possession of child porn
- Cumbria police appeal after £4k quad bike stolen in South Lakes (2 comments)
- Two-hour struggle to free digger stuck in mud at Grange
- My 50 golden years patrolling the sands to Morecambe Bay
- Historical food expert to attend Holker festival in Cumbria
- Thieves swipe safe from Grange family butcher
- Lindale farmer buried hard drug stash (1 comment)
- Drug dealer "spooked" by car hides drugs stash on South Cumbria farm (4 comments)
- South Lakes residents invited to comment on dog control orders (4 comments)
- Thief blasted for targeting wishing well
- South Lakes restaurant gets AA cooking award
- Flookburgh based Bay Search and Rescue charity in bid to boost funds (2 comments)
- Driver praised after collision
- South Lakes energy scheme recharged (1 comment)
- UPDATED: South Lakes man located
- Satnav stolen from locked car in Grange
- Post box blown up in Grange
- Grange event starts festive fun
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Cartmel Races
- ‘A woman and half my lands to kill last wolf’
- Amateur gardener gains a bronze at international
- Plans for Indian takeaway in Millom spark traders' protest (29 comments)
- No title
- Call for road investment after A590 safety talks (1 comment)
- Artist’s love of the Lakes
- No title
- No title
- No title