Man escapes from car after driving off pier
Last updated at 09:56, Sunday, 28 August 2011
A MAN is in hospital after driving his car off a pier.
A spokeswoman for the Coastguard in the North West said a call came in from a member of the public at around 10am yesterday, saying a car had gone off the pier in Askam and into the Duddon Estuary.
The man driving the car managed to escape from the car and was helped ashore by a member of the public, before teams from Walney Coastguard, Millom Coastguard and Duddon Inshore Rescue made it to the scene.
The police also attended the incident.
The driver was checked over by paramedics at the scene and taken to Furness General Hospital by ambulance.
He is said to be shaken, but not badly hurt.
A police spokeswoman said he was taken to hospital as a precaution.
The coastguard hoped to recover the car some time yesterday afternoon.
First published at 13:12, Saturday, 27 August 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Grange news
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Martin and Matty march on in Barrow snooker
- Ex-Barrow AFC player in frame
- A590 closed after Lindale Hill crash near Grange
- John Ruskin School pictures
- Welcome change of fortune as Carlisle grab last-gasp victory
- Surgery news is fantastic
- Footballer’s wife set to star in glitzy fly-on-the-wall TV show (9 comments)
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education