Man escapes from car after driving off pier
Last updated at 09:56, Sunday, 28 August 2011
A MAN is in hospital after driving his car off a pier.
A spokeswoman for the Coastguard in the North West said a call came in from a member of the public at around 10am yesterday, saying a car had gone off the pier in Askam and into the Duddon Estuary.
The man driving the car managed to escape from the car and was helped ashore by a member of the public, before teams from Walney Coastguard, Millom Coastguard and Duddon Inshore Rescue made it to the scene.
The police also attended the incident.
The driver was checked over by paramedics at the scene and taken to Furness General Hospital by ambulance.
He is said to be shaken, but not badly hurt.
A police spokeswoman said he was taken to hospital as a precaution.
The coastguard hoped to recover the car some time yesterday afternoon.
First published at 13:12, Saturday, 27 August 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Grange news
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Man escapes from car after driving off pier
- South Cumbria family wins lottery (6 comments)
- Club hits out at foul play
- Police investigating road rage on A590 in Cumbria
- Drought - An urgent appeal (1 comment)
- Praise for Beatrix Potter inspired garden
- Stowaway threatens to wreck World Cup dream
- South Cumbria residents recall tales of woe caused by dog muck
- Union: ‘We will not back down’
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd