Longlands duck shot dead
Published at 11:12, Thursday, 16 February 2012
A DUCK who was a favourite with children has been shot and killed at Cleator.
For five years the vividly coloured drake has lived on Longlands Lake but was found dead a few days ago.
At first it was thought the Muscovy had been savaged by a dog but bullet holes were later found in his throat.
Peanuts – named for his love of eating nuts – became a favourite with children and adults visiting Longlands. Soon he was expected to mate with Missi, his Muscovy partner who is said to be missing him.
Dawn Butterworth and Marie Preston, from Egremont, are among those who help care for all the ducks and geese at Longlands.
Dawn said: “Peanuts was loved by everybody, he and Missi loved each other and she is pining for him. For somebody to do this terrible thing is appalling. We are very distressed about it. After being shot it looks as though this much-loved duck dragged himself away to die under a tree.”
Efforts are now being made to find a new partner for Missi in the hope of them mating and having some Muscovy ducklings for a safe home on Longlands.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
More Grange news
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Icy conditions cause string of accidents in Ulverston and South Cumbria
- Bid to close ‘high risk’ Grange rail crossing
- Crowds flock to Grange Christmas lights switch-on
- 40 new affordable homes in South Cumbria (3 comments)
- Supermarket chain wants to open new express store in Grange (7 comments)
- Living wage move will give Grange workers pay rise
- More than 150 volunteers take on Grange green clean
- Grange man, 79, to stand trial for racially aggravated assault in Cumbria
- Car crash in Grange today (1 comment)
- Infrastructure expert attacks Grange houses proposal (4 comments)
- South Cumbria restaurant voted best in UK (4 comments)
- Action group could combat Grange flooding
- Grange man put on sex offenders register for fondling teenage girl
- Cumbria chef ranked third in national contest
- Design-a-Christmas card competition launched by MP
- South Cumbria business running road safety competition
- Pensioner taken to hospital after crash in South Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans