Longlands duck shot dead
Published at 11:12, Thursday, 16 February 2012
A DUCK who was a favourite with children has been shot and killed at Cleator.
For five years the vividly coloured drake has lived on Longlands Lake but was found dead a few days ago.
At first it was thought the Muscovy had been savaged by a dog but bullet holes were later found in his throat.
Peanuts – named for his love of eating nuts – became a favourite with children and adults visiting Longlands. Soon he was expected to mate with Missi, his Muscovy partner who is said to be missing him.
Dawn Butterworth and Marie Preston, from Egremont, are among those who help care for all the ducks and geese at Longlands.
Dawn said: “Peanuts was loved by everybody, he and Missi loved each other and she is pining for him. For somebody to do this terrible thing is appalling. We are very distressed about it. After being shot it looks as though this much-loved duck dragged himself away to die under a tree.”
Efforts are now being made to find a new partner for Missi in the hope of them mating and having some Muscovy ducklings for a safe home on Longlands.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
More Grange news
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- SLIDESHOW: Cartmel family race proves a winning formula
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012