Jury told child’s injuries could not be accidental
Last updated at 15:22, Tuesday, 09 November 2010
A JUDGE reminded a jury at the trial of a man accused of assaulting a young child that the serious injuries suffered by the victim were in no way caused by an accident.
The Honourable Mr Justice MacDuff told the seven men and five women sitting at Preston Crown Court that it was now up to them to decide who was responsible for leaving the youngster with 23 bone fractures and a potentially life-threatening brain injury.
The judge was yesterday summing up evidence heard during Christopher David Newton’s nine-day trial.
The 23-year-old from Barrow is accused of cruelty to a person under 16 by wilfully assaulting a child, wilfully ill-treating a child, causing grievous bodily harm and unlawful wounding between August 4 and September 3 last year.
Newton denies all charges and claims someone else is responsible for causing injuries which were described as “grotesque” by his defence barrister, Mr Richard Vardon, on Thursday.
Judge MacDuff told how a paramedic who had responded to a 999 call had described the child as “floppy” in his evidence and that in his experience a silent baby was a very ill baby.
The judge said basic x-rays taken at Furness General Hospital only showed two fractures but further CT and MRI scans revealed the full extent of the child’s injuries.
Judge MacDuff said: “The fractures to the legs were classic corner fractures caused by non-accidental injury. The child’s leg must have been shaken backwards and forwards, or they had been picked up and swung by one leg, meaning it took the whole weight of the body.
“The brain injury was caused by insufficient oxygen and blood to the brain. There was blood diffused all over the top of the brain and in the subdural space. Doctors say this was caused by a shaking injury.
“They also said significant force was used, as such injury usually resulted from a car accident, falling down stairs, or falling out of a first-floor window”.
After spending yesterday going over the evidence with the jury, Judge MacDuff warned them they must be 100 per cent sure that the defendant was responsible for the injuries and not anyone else the child had come into contact with.
He concluded: “You may feel Christopher Newton had the opportunity to cause these injuries, but having the opportunity and doing are separate things”.
The jury will retire on Monday morning to consider their verdict.
First published at 10:37, Saturday, 06 November 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Officials take advice on range of ideas for Grange historic lido
- SLIDESHOW: Cartmel family race proves a winning formula
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Barrow man accused of having a sword in public
- Barrow man jailed after benefits mix up left him without food (7 comments)
- Correct result
- Flashback: Theatre Groups
- Furness Academy firm on its uniform rules
- Hotel to blame for food poisoning
- Valuable information for your holiday plans
- Great days at town’s lost shops and pubs
- Maryport colleagues run for cancer charity
- Loco built for Barrow shipyard enjoys retirement in Oz
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22