Great North Swim cancelled
Last updated at 13:59, Wednesday, 08 September 2010
The 2010 Great North Swim has been cancelled because of toxic algae in Windermere.
The event, which was due to be held on September 4 and 5, was postponed in the hope Organisers could rearrange for a later date, due to the presence of blue-green algae in Windermere, which could be dangerous to competitors.
Signs posted by the Environment Agency, South Lakeland District Council and the Health Protection Agency are at various locations on the shores of Windermere warning of toxic algae and the organisers were therefore reluctantly left with no choice but to cancel the event.
David Hart, Communications Director of Great Swim, said, "We are profoundly disappointed not to be able to stage the Great North Swim this year but the welfare of competitors is paramount. We sought assurances that the water quality would be acceptable for us to stage the event this weekend, but having not received this and with toxic algae warning signs around the lake today it would be entirely irresponsible for us to go ahead.
"Nearly 9,000 people had been training to take part in what would have been Britain's biggest ever open water swimming event and we know they will share our disappointment. However, the welfare of participants is always our number one concern and we had no alternative but to cancel."
All entrants have been offered a full refund of entry fee or deferment of entry until 2011, details of which can be found at www.greatswim.org
For the full story, see tomorrow's North West Evening Mail.
First published at 15:54, Tuesday, 07 September 2010
Published by http://www.grangelocal.co.uk
More Grange news
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22