Great North Swim cancelled
Last updated at 13:59, Wednesday, 08 September 2010
The 2010 Great North Swim has been cancelled because of toxic algae in Windermere.
The event, which was due to be held on September 4 and 5, was postponed in the hope Organisers could rearrange for a later date, due to the presence of blue-green algae in Windermere, which could be dangerous to competitors.
Signs posted by the Environment Agency, South Lakeland District Council and the Health Protection Agency are at various locations on the shores of Windermere warning of toxic algae and the organisers were therefore reluctantly left with no choice but to cancel the event.
David Hart, Communications Director of Great Swim, said, "We are profoundly disappointed not to be able to stage the Great North Swim this year but the welfare of competitors is paramount. We sought assurances that the water quality would be acceptable for us to stage the event this weekend, but having not received this and with toxic algae warning signs around the lake today it would be entirely irresponsible for us to go ahead.
"Nearly 9,000 people had been training to take part in what would have been Britain's biggest ever open water swimming event and we know they will share our disappointment. However, the welfare of participants is always our number one concern and we had no alternative but to cancel."
All entrants have been offered a full refund of entry fee or deferment of entry until 2011, details of which can be found at www.greatswim.org
For the full story, see tomorrow's North West Evening Mail.
First published at 15:54, Tuesday, 07 September 2010
Published by http://www.grangelocal.co.uk
More Grange news
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Icy conditions cause string of accidents in Ulverston and South Cumbria
- Bid to close ‘high risk’ Grange rail crossing
- Crowds flock to Grange Christmas lights switch-on
- 40 new affordable homes in South Cumbria (3 comments)
- Supermarket chain wants to open new express store in Grange (7 comments)
- Living wage move will give Grange workers pay rise
- More than 150 volunteers take on Grange green clean
- Grange man, 79, to stand trial for racially aggravated assault in Cumbria
- Car crash in Grange today (1 comment)
- Infrastructure expert attacks Grange houses proposal (4 comments)
- South Cumbria restaurant voted best in UK (4 comments)
- Action group could combat Grange flooding
- Grange man put on sex offenders register for fondling teenage girl
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans