Grange event starts festive fun
Last updated at 14:49, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
GRANGE was transformed into a winter wonderland at the weekend as the town got the festive period off to a bright start.
The second annual Christmas Extravaganza attracted people from far and wide to mark the upcoming yuletide celebrations.
A jam-packed schedule of activities throughout Saturday culminated in the traditional lighting of the Grange Christmas tree in the evening.
Thirty-two businesses participated in the celebration – either by hosting events themselves or offering discounts to early-bird Christmas shoppers.
Santa set himself up in an igloo-themed grotto to take present requests from children and reindeers were on hand to add that extra festive feel.
A street magician wowed crowds with his variety of tricks and shoppers were left surprised by the appearance of Zumba dancers. The Royal British Legion Club put on a German beer garden and there was a barbecue serving hot food.
Tracy Hathorn, from the Grange Chamber of Trade, said organisers were delighted with the turnout.
“It was a really nice day and we’ve had lots of good feedback from locals,” she said. “It was definitely bigger this year and there was a lot of excitement about it.
“We were hoping to get people to come to Grange and start their Christmas shopping, as well as just giving locals the chance to go out and do something fun.”
Mrs Hathorn said the organising committee was confident the event would return next year even bigger and better.
First published at 12:29, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school