Grange event starts festive fun
Last updated at 14:49, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
GRANGE was transformed into a winter wonderland at the weekend as the town got the festive period off to a bright start.
The second annual Christmas Extravaganza attracted people from far and wide to mark the upcoming yuletide celebrations.
A jam-packed schedule of activities throughout Saturday culminated in the traditional lighting of the Grange Christmas tree in the evening.
Thirty-two businesses participated in the celebration – either by hosting events themselves or offering discounts to early-bird Christmas shoppers.
Santa set himself up in an igloo-themed grotto to take present requests from children and reindeers were on hand to add that extra festive feel.
A street magician wowed crowds with his variety of tricks and shoppers were left surprised by the appearance of Zumba dancers. The Royal British Legion Club put on a German beer garden and there was a barbecue serving hot food.
Tracy Hathorn, from the Grange Chamber of Trade, said organisers were delighted with the turnout.
“It was a really nice day and we’ve had lots of good feedback from locals,” she said. “It was definitely bigger this year and there was a lot of excitement about it.
“We were hoping to get people to come to Grange and start their Christmas shopping, as well as just giving locals the chance to go out and do something fun.”
Mrs Hathorn said the organising committee was confident the event would return next year even bigger and better.
First published at 12:29, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Icy conditions cause string of accidents in Ulverston and South Cumbria
- Bid to close ‘high risk’ Grange rail crossing
- Crowds flock to Grange Christmas lights switch-on
- 40 new affordable homes in South Cumbria (3 comments)
- Supermarket chain wants to open new express store in Grange (7 comments)
- Living wage move will give Grange workers pay rise
- More than 150 volunteers take on Grange green clean
- Grange man, 79, to stand trial for racially aggravated assault in Cumbria
- Car crash in Grange today (1 comment)
- Infrastructure expert attacks Grange houses proposal (4 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans