Evening Mail prom winners meet for the first time
Last updated at 15:46, Tuesday, 16 August 2011
THE Evening Mail’s Prom King and Queen have met for the first time.
Ryan Thompson and Heather Broadhurst, both aged 16, entered the competition in the hope of winning the royal titles.
Heather topped the public vote out of 22 Prom Queen hopefuls, while Ryan beat nine king candidates.
Heather, of The Crescent, Grange, attended Cartmel Priory School.
The self confessed tomboy nominated herself for the role of Evening Mail Prom Queen after being complimented at the prom.
Heather said: “It’s quite shocking really, but pretty sweet. I was quite surprised and had to double check with my mum – I thought she was joking when she rang.”
The Prom Queen attended the Cartmel Priory prom on June 29 at the Netherwood Hotel, Grange. Of the event, she said: “It was brilliant. It took a few hours to get ready for. I normally steer clear of all things girly.
“I have only worn a dress three times in the last eight years and everyone said I looked so different and nice and I liked it.”
Heather is off to Newton Rigg College in September, to study animal management.
Former Walney School pupil Ryan lives in Hastings Street, Barrow.
In his application for the title of Evening Mail Prom King, he described himself as responsible, reliable and friendly. He thanked those who voted for him to become the first ever Evening Mail Prom King. Ryan said: “It feels great to be the Evening Mail Prom King. I was a bit shocked when I first found out – I didn’t think it would be me.
“I think I was the only boy from my school who put his name forward.
“I am looking forward to getting involved with the community.”
The Walney School prom took place at The Abbey House Hotel on June 24.
Mr Thompson said: “It was great. I had a great time.”
Mr Thompson will attend Barrow Sixth Form College in September, to study law, politics, German and Spanish.
More than 1,300 votes were cast through a combination of completed coupons from the North-West Evening Mail and text votes.
The winning king and queen each won a photoshoot and poster sized print from Powder and Paint Photography, in packages worth £450 each.
Heather also won a pampering spa day for herself and three friends at the Lakeside Hotel, Windermere.
Ryan won four Baboon vouchers, worth £20 each, for himself and three of his friends to use at Go Ape! Grizedale.
First published at 15:36, Tuesday, 16 August 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Grange news
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012