Diamond prize for best-dressed lady at Cartmel races
Last updated at 14:25, Saturday, 02 June 2012
THE fashion stakes will be high at a glamorous jubilee racing event where the best dressed lady competition winner will walk away wearing £5,000-worth of sparkling diamonds.
Cartmel Racecourse is staging The North West Evening Mail Ladies Night on Derby Day today (Saturday), the first of its three Diamond Jubilee race meetings.
A team of judges will be stalking the enclosures selecting the best dressed ladies on the racecourse. In the event of poor weather the judges will be looking for the most stylish wet weather outfit and fanciest wellies.
The shortlisted lucky ladies will be randomly allocated a horse to represent them in the Wave Jewellery race, which is under starters orders at 7.45pm.
The lady with the winning horse will be presented with the Wave Jewellery diamonds.
The runner up wins a night for two at the Swan Hotel and Spa at Newby Bridge. All the selected ladies will win a bottle of champagne.
Phoebe designer fashion boutique, in Potters Court, Ulverston, and The Hat Box, in Rawlinson Street, Barrow, have put together some stunning outfits for the Evening Mail to offer some helpful fashion ideas for ladies looking for that perfect raceday outfit.
Phoebe owner, Dawn Fitzgerald, and qualified couture milliner Tracy Wells, of The Hat Box, regularly work together to assist ladies attending races, weddings and special occasions, to get their style spot on with an exclusive outfit.
Phoebe customer Jayne Smith, of Ulverston, modelled a selection of beautiful Joseph Ribkoff and Michaela Louisa dresses, matched with fabulous bespoke hats and fascinators. Mrs Wells, who also hires hats, can be visited by appointment only.
Mrs Fitzgerald said: “When choosing that perfect outfit for raceday you should always look for something that is chic and glamorous. The featured dresses are fashionable, stylish and made from fabrics which make a girl not only look beautiful, but feel beautiful too.”
Our model was all set for the races in an elegant Michaela Louisa pistachio dress matched perfectly with a fantastic charcoal and green hat.
Mrs Fitzgerald said: “The colour is lovely for this time of year. This 1950s look is very popular because of Kate Middleton. The hat is beautiful and was made to match this dress.”
Gates open at 12pm for The North West Evening Mail Ladies Night on Derby Day. Racegoers can set up a picnic, enjoy the funfair and watch The Investec Derby being screened live from Epsom. The first Cartmel race is at 6.15pm.
First published at 13:18, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Grange news
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22