Dan cycles to raise £2,500 in memory of his pal, Adam
Last updated at 16:15, Monday, 28 May 2012
A CYCLIST has raised more than £2,500 for charity in memory of a friend who died from leukaemia.
Daniel Purcell has cycled 400 miles from his work place in Guildford to the town square in his home village of Flookburgh in memory of his close friend, Adam Zamoyski, who died last year aged 28.
The two friends met at university in Leeds and became close through a mutual love of video games design.
Daniel said: “We were passionate about making games and eventually we came down to work at Lionhead Studios in Guildford together and had always been close friends.’’
After setting off on his bike at 6.45am on April 21 the journey took Daniel four-and-a-half days to complete.
He finally arrived at Flookburgh square at 1pm on April 25 after dealing with rain and difficult weather conditions.
Daniel described the cycle ride as “a great experience and all worth the effort knowing it’s going towards an amazing charity and in memory of an amazing friend”.
Daniel is already known for his charity work after raising more than £500 for the charity CancerCare, which supports sufferers and people who have been affected by cancer around North Lancashire and South Lakeland.
Since the completion of the charity ride Daniel has managed to raise over £2,500 for the Leukaemia and Lymphoma Unit, UCLH Charity which treats patients with leukaemia, lymphoma, sickle cell anaemia, thalassaeimia and all other haematological disorders.
Donations and words of encouragement were posted on Daniel’s web page on the charity fundraising site, www.justgiving.com/daniel-purcell0, which is still open for donations.
The money raised will go towards improving patients’ experience by providing state-of-the-art medical equipment, amenties, complementary therapy for patients and supporting postgraduate education for nurses.
Daniel said: “It was immense, savage hills and distance, I just kept powering through as hard and fast as I could with all the energy and effort I had in me.
“I didn’t want to slack at any point. I know that the pain and exhaustion I went through doesn’t even compare to what my friend went through, but I’m happy to have raised so much money knowing it may help someone else in Adam’s position.”
First published at 13:06, Wednesday, 23 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
- Police appeal after Cumbria collision between car and pedestrian
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Look for elusive bird in Cumbria
- Supporters prepare South Cumbria lido Lottery cash bid (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Bizarre theft of Slimming World banner in Cumbria
- Cumbria businesswoman helps brave servicemen and women unwind
- UPDATE 2pm: 70 properties in Cumbria still without power
- Search is on to find a poster girl to be the face of Grange Lido campaign
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5