Artist’s love of the Lakes
Last updated at 11:56, Monday, 24 October 2011
WORK by popular Northern artist Helen Layfield Bradley is set to make top prices in the September sale at 1818 Auctioneers in Kendal.
The autumn catalogued auction of fine art and antiques includes a collection of paintings from the estate of a local collector.
The star item is likely to be a watercolour entitled April – Grandpa went to see a farmer at Fell Foot which was featured in her first book And Miss Carter wore Pink.
It is expected to fetch between £15,000 and £25,000.
The artist was born in 1900 at Lees, near Oldham, but was a frequent visitor to the Lake District.
She lived for part of her life at Lindale, near Grange.
One of the pictures on offer is an oil on board depicting the Cartmel valley in the evening with an estimate of £1,200 to £1,800.
There are two small paintings of the Lake District measuring 4in by 4in which are expected to fetch around £200 each.
Numerous prints and books are also included in the sale.
The artist exhibited at Abbot Hall Art Gallery in Kendal in 1970 and retrospectively in 1989.
First published at 10:35, Saturday, 10 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Grange news
- South Cumbria school praised for helping children feel right at home
- SLIDESHOW: Sun shines on Cartmel racegoers as bank holiday meeting starts
- Grange woman who fraudulently claimed benefits in court (2 comments)
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Puddles the Cumbria otter cub travels to specialist hospital in Scotland
- Good Samaritan tells of impact of Grange drunk’s attack
- South Lakes housing estate plan approved
- Store owner appeals to public after £25,000 jewellery heist
- Grange man accused of grooming girl for sex
- Loved ones remembered at Cumbria service
- New Grange estate proposal branded ‘vandalism of a public view’
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area
- Cumbria fly-tipper admits dumping his old sofa
- High winds close outdoor exhibition in South Cumbria
- Cartmel Races - Betfair Barbecue Day 2014
- Cartmel Races - Totepool Cumbria Crystal Hurdle Day 2014
- Two race horses perish at Cartmel races in South Cumbria (16 comments)
- Consultation begins on £1.4m South Cumbria homes proposal (1 comment)
- Cartmel Vintage Race Night
- Barrow bakery has recipe for success
- Car stolen in South Cumbria
- Barrow and Grange venues for summer street gallery exhibition
- Cumbria chef Simon Rogan wins another accolade
- Concerns over application for 68 new homes in Cumbria town
- Grange care home residents given month to leave (2 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22